Tara Zoellner has a background in government liability and corrections defense, including the defense of civil claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, Bivens actions, and state law torts. Tara collaborates with attorneys in our firm to counsel and defend government agencies, and other public and private entities in Arizona and across the nation in litigation, at the appellate stage, and by providing strategic counseling, as well as critical advice and support during external/government investigations. She also has extensive experience guiding clients through every aspect of electronic discovery, from the identification and collection of documents to the analysis and production of electronic data and information.
Tara has successfully defended public and private entities and their employees against a variety of claims, including excessive force, wrongful death, sexual assault, deliberate indifference to medical needs, and retaliation.
Prior to joining Wieneke Law Group, Tara clerked for Judge Lawrence F. Winthrop at the Arizona Court of Appeals, where she prepared draft memorandum decisions and opinions on criminal and civil appeals and special actions. Tara also externed for Judge David Campbell at the United States District Court, District of Arizona.
In recognition of her accomplishments, professionalism, and legal skills, Tara has been recognized as a Rising Star by Southwest SuperLawyers Magazine.
Wieneke Law Group
Partner, 2018 to present
Senior Associate, 2017 to 2018
Struck Wieneke & Love
Associate, 2011 to 2017
Jones, Skelton & Hochuli
Associate, 2010 to 2011
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- United States Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- Blaisdell v. Frappiea, 729 F.3d 1237 (9th Cir. 2013)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- Barrister, Horace Rumpole Inn of Court
- Board Member & Past President, Trinity University Alumni Association (Metro Phoenix Chapter)
- Co-Presenter, “A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words, But What’s Inside Will Shock You,” Arizona Public Risk Managers’ Association (PRIMA) Summer Education Series, August 1, 2019.
- Co-Presenter, SWL Presents, “Discovery: The Hunt for Hidden Treasures,” 2016
- “Lee v. State, The Mailbox Rule and Its Applicability to Notices of Claims Against the State,” 50 Ariz. L. Rev. 999 (2008).