Christina Retts focuses her practice on representing government entities, law enforcement, and corrections professionals against civil rights claims brought under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, Bivens, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, as well as state tort claims and class action litigation. She litigates complex cases in both federal and state courts across the country.
Tina has extensive experience defending law enforcement personnel against a broad range of civil claims, including cases involving excessive use of force, officer-involved shootings, TASER, less-lethal weapons, K-9 use, suicidal and barricaded subjects, positional and restraint asphyxia, excited delirium, warrantless search and seizure, failure to arrest, and wrongful arrest. She has also defended cases involving crime lab testing of evidence, including DNA; arson investigations and arson dog handling; and gangs. Her practice also encompasses the defense of inmate/detainee litigation, including prison classification/segregation claims, inmate assault claims, and religious rights allegations. Tina is also experienced with defending fire and corrections medical personnel against complex medical negligence claims.
Tina has also defended governmental entities in traffic and roadway design cases.
Wieneke Law Group
Partner, September 2017 to Present
Struck Wieneke & Love
Partner, June 2011 to August 2017 (Partner 2013)
Jones, Skelton & Hochuli
Associate, March 2005 to June 2011
- New Mexico
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fernandez v. Virgilio, No. 2:12-CV-02475 JWS (D. Ariz. June 30, 2014)
- Marquez v. City of Phoenix, 693 F.3d 1167 (9th 2013)
- Hogue v. City of Phoenix, No. CV2010-092705 (Maricopa Cnty. Sup. Ct. 2014)
- Fernandez v. City of Phoenix, No. 2:11cv-02001- FJM (D. Ariz. June 20, 2012)
- Jensen v. Burnsides, No. CV-06-2356 -PHX-GMS (D. Ariz. Oct. 23, 2008)
- Pataky v. City of Phoenix, No. CV-09-0148 3-PHX -JAT (D. Ariz. Dec. 8, 2009) & Barnes v. City of Phoenix, No. CV09-1767-PHX-JAT (D. Ariz. Oct. 22, 2009)
- Stadler v. State of Arizona, No. 2:10-cv-01072-SRB (D. Ariz.)
- Stair v. City of Phoenix, No. CV2014 -004744 (Maricopa Cnty. Sup. Ct.)
- Corrales v. City of Phoenix, No. 2a;11-cv-00287 -ROS (D. Ariz.)
- Sloan v. City of Phoenix, 2:16-cv-02176-ROS (D. Ariz.)
- Erickson v. City of Phoenix, 2:14-cv-01942- JAT (D. Ariz).
Professional Associations & Memberships
Member, State Bar of Arizona Member, State Bar of New Mexico Member, Federal Bar Association
Member, Arizona Public Risk Management Association Member, Arizona Association of Defense Counsel Member, Defense Research Institute
- Presenter, “The Public Safety Response to the Mental Health Crisis,” Arizona Public Risk Managers’ Association (PRIMA) Summer Education Series, July 26, 2018.
- Presenter, “Tactical Training on the Mentally Ill,” Crisis Intervention Training for the Scottsdale Police Department on October 2, 2017 and October 6, 2017.
- Presenter, “Defending Police Use of force Cases – When Is Enough, Enough?” to the Chandler Police Department on November 2, 2016.
- Presenter, SWL Presents, “Discovery: The Hunt for Hidden Treasures,” September 1, 2016
- Presenter, Arizona Homicide Association, Advanced Homicide Training, “Liability for Investigators and What the ME May be Missing,” 2015
- Presenter, Arizona Gang Investigator’s Association, “Liability for Investigators,” 2014
- Presenter, Arizona Counties Insurance Pool’s Fifteenth Annual Public Legal Seminar, “Law Enforcement and the Americans with Disabilities Act,” 2012